Give the Gift of a Safe and Healthy Home
Unhealthy living conditions at home account for many of the leading causes of preventable fatality, illness and disability in the United States. You can help provide a safe and healthy home for low-income seniors, veterans and people living with disabilities with a gift to Rebuilding Together Metro Denver! Your donation will help homeowners live with greater independence and dignity.
Here is a sampling of the power of your contribution:
- It only takes $10 to install no-slip strips in a bathtub and put a stop to preventable falls. Did you know that accidental falls are the leading cause of traumatic brain injuries in the U.S.? And that the fall death-rate of adults 65 and older has been steadily growing for the last decade?
- For $20, you can provide light fixtures along exit paths in a home that will lead a homeowner to safety in an emergency. 50% Of home fire deaths occur between 11 PM and 7 AM, when it is dark and difficult to see. Light the way to safety with your donation.
- For $30, you can fall-proof a bathroom by installing grab-bars in a tub. Each year, 2.8 million older adults are treated in emergency rooms for fall injuries like ones that can occur in the bathroom. What should be a private and safe space can become a hazard for older homeowners.
- For $50, you can make a home safe to live in by providing new outside door knobs and locks. Already in the year 2016, Denver has had an average of 13 home break-ins per day. 28% Of home robberies occur when someone is home and vulnerable. Help protect your neighbors.
- For $100, you can help fireproof a home with a smoke and CO detector and ABC fire extinguisher. Did you know that, on average, 7 people die in U.S. home fires each day? And that people age 65 and older are TWICE AS LIKELY to be killed or injured by a fire?
- For $250, your donation can clear drains and fix sewer lines leading into a home. Broken sewer lines can expose a homeowner to dangerous bacteria including E. coli, salmonella, and hepatitis. Nearly 2 million cases of illness are caused by sewage exposure each year.
- For $500 you can provide new, laminate flooring for one room. Old carpeting and flooring can become filled with dust mites, mold, and allergens. Nasty things like this can cause respiratory distress, asthma, and other health problems in older adults and children living in the home.
- For $1500, you can cover the replacement of a hot water heater and keep a neighbor warm through the cold Colorado Winters. The recommended life of a hot water heater is 10 years. 84,000 Denver residents live in the category of “extremely low-income”, and cannot afford a replacement when it means forgoing food and mortgage payments.